WASHINGTON – Committee on House Administration Chairman Bryan Steil (WI-01) applauds the passage of multiple bills preventing noncitizen voting in U.S. elections and protecting election integrity out of Committee during today’s full committee markup.
“The American people deserve an elections system they can trust,” said Chairman Steil. “Today our Committee has brought our country one step closer to blocking election insecurities. From preventing federal funds from going to states that allow noncitizens to vote, to blocking the Biden Administration’s attempts to weaponize our federal agencies. Each measure we passed today will increase voters’ confidence and ultimately lead to greater participation at the ballot box.”
Legislative Vote SummaryH.R. 4460 – NO VOTE for Non-Citizens Act – was reported out by a vote of 8-2.
- Sponsored by Rep. Morgan Griffith (VA-09), this bill amends the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 and the Help America Vote Act of 2002 to help ensure that only eligible American citizens may participate in federal elections.
H.R. 4396 – American Confidence in Elections: District of Columbia Citizen Voter Act – reported out by a vote of 6-3.
- Sponsored by Rep. Mike Bost (IL-12), this bill repeals the D.C. Local Resident Voting Rights Act that allows non-citizens to vote and creates a prohibition on noncitizen voting.
H.R. 4316 – Citizen Ballot Protection Act – reported out by a vote of 4-3.
- Sponsored by Rep. Gary Palmer (AL-06), this bill permits a State to include as part of the federal voter registration form a requirement that applicants provide proof of citizenship.
H.R. 3162 – Protecting American Voters Act – reported out by a vote of 6-3.
- Sponsored by Rep. Chip Roy (TX-21), this bill requires the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Commissioner of Social Security to provide upon request information to States to verify the citizenship status of individuals registered to vote.
H.R. 3229 – Stop Foreign Funds in Elections Act – was reported out by voice vote.
- Sponsored by Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-01), this bill prohibits contributions by foreign nationals in elections or in connection with ballot initiatives or referenda.
H.R. 4474 – Confirmation of Congressional Observer Access Act of 2023 (COCOA Act of 2023) – reported out by a voice vote.
- Sponsored by Rep. Mike Carey (OH-15), this bill codifies the long-running Congressional Observer Program, which, pursuant to constitutional authority, deploys designated congressional election observers to observe federal election administration procedures. More information on the program is available here.
H.R. 4555 – Federal Election Audit Act – reported out by a vote of 8-4.
- Sponsored by Rep. Greg Murphy (NC-03), this bill allows HAVA Requirements Payments to be used to conduct a post-election audit for federal offices in a State.
H.R. 6513 – Safeguarding Electoral Integrity Act of 2023 – reported out by a vote of 5-4.
- Sponsored by Rep. Harriet Hageman (WY-At-Large), this bill repeals the Biden Executive Order on Promoting Access to Voting and requires every plan made under it to be submitted to Congress for review. The Executive Order effectively turns federal agencies into get-out-the-vote operations for the left.